The Metropolitan Police says it is aware of media reports concerning allegations against Russell Brand and has urged anybody who believes they have been the victim of a sexual assault to come forward.
The comic has been accused of sexual assault, and abusive and predatory behaviour, alleged to have occurred between 2006 and 2013 in a Channel 4 Dispatches documentary which aired last night (September 16).
The Metropolitan Police stated: “We are aware of media reporting of a series of allegations of sexual assault.
“At this time, we have not received any reports in relation to this. If anyone believes they have been the victim of a sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, we would encourage them to contact police.”
Russell Brand appeared live on stage at Wembley in west London on September 16, telling his audience there were certain things he “cannot discuss”.
Mr Brand strongly denies the allegations and claimed in a viral video that all of his relationships have been “consensual”.
He then accused the media of conducting a “coordinated attack” against him.
A 90-minute documentary titled “Russell Brand: In Plain Sight” aired on Channel 4 Dispatches on Saturday evening.
Four anonymous women revealed their allegations in this programme, and others shared their experiences working on television programmes with Mr Brand.
Helen Berger, Brand’s former personal assistant, was among those interviewed, and she described the comedian as a “narcissist.”
Prior to these revelations, Mr Brand stated in his video statement that he was facing a “litany of extremely egregious and aggressive attacks”.”
He continued: “These allegations pertain to the time when I was working in the mainstream, when I was in the newspapers all the time, when I was in the movies and as I have written about extensively in my books, I was very, very promiscuous.
“Now during that time of promiscuity the relationships I had were absolutely, always consensual. I was always transparent about that then, almost too transparent, and I am being transparent about it now as well.
“To see that transparency metastasised into something criminal, that I absolutely deny, makes me question is there another agenda at play.”
Mr Brand’s public appearance coincided with an announcement from Trevi Women, a charity that assists mothers recovering from drug addiction. The charity revealed that it was severing its connections with the comedian.
In an Instagram post, the Devon-based organization, which had previously received support from Brand’s Stay Free Foundation in the past year, said: “Today’s media revelations have been difficult to process. But our priority remains and continues to be the safety and well-being of all women and girls now and in the future.
“We have ended our association with Russell Brand and the Stay Free Foundation.”
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Source: Read Full Article