Freddie Flintoff ‘will finally resume filming for second run of cricket series Field of Dreams’ – a year after being injured in Top Gear horror crash
- Andrew Flintoff, 45, recovered enough to start filming for BBC this winter
Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff is set to resume filming for the BBC a year after the Top Gear horror crash which his son said he was ‘lucky’ to survive.
The England all-rounder, 45, was seen for the first time in public on Friday nine months after the near-fatal crash at the show’s test track in Dunsfold, Surrey, which left him with severe facial injuries and several broken ribs.
The father-of-four was ‘lucky to be alive’ when his open-topped three-wheel Morgan Super 3 flipped over in freezing conditions, according to his 17-year-old son, Corey.
He was airlifted to hospital were he spent the next five weeks recovering.
Top Gear staff who witnessed the horror smash were signed off sick indefinitely with post-traumatic stress disorder. Top Gears’ future is still hanging in limbo after the latest series was axed.
Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff, 45, was pictured for the first time in public earlier this week nearly a year after the horror Top Gear crash in which he was nearly killed
Flintoff’s injuries were still visible nine months on from the crash which left him with broken ribs and facial bones
In the aftermath of the crash Flintoff’s wife Rachael repeatedly begged him to stay off work.
The scars from the smash were still visible on Flintoff’s face as he was seen with the England cricket team during their one-day international with New Zealand at Cardiff.
And now he is set to return to filming this winter with sources saying he has recovered enough to resume the second run of cricket series Field of Dreams.
One source told The Mirror that Freddie ‘is gearing up to get back to work’.
‘We know how much this series meant to him,’ they said. ‘It was a passion project that was also loved by the viewers, so it’s great it will mark his return to the screen after what must have been an extraordinarily difficult time.’
It comes after fears were raised in April that Flintoff would not return to filming the show this year.
The first series of Field of Dreams saw 3.3million people tune in to see Freddie try and get children from his home city of Preston interested in cricket.
The serious accident saw Flintoff quit Top Gear and several members of staff who witnessed it sign off sick indefinitely as a result of post-traumatic stress disorder
But Flintoff is now deemed to have recovered enough to start filming for BBC this winter for the second run of his ‘passion project’ series Field of Dreams
Staff watched in horror as the 45-year-old crashed an open-topped three-wheel Morgan Super 3 car
In a bid to prove the sport was not just for posh people, the former England player formed a team of youngsters who competed against a private school as well as veterans.
READ MORE: FLINTOFF’S TOP GEAR CRASH CAR THAT LEFT HIM WITH FACE WOUNDS WAS ‘NOT FITTED WITH AIRBAGS’
The BBC announced in October – one month before the Top Gear crash – it had commissioned a second series of the show.
Flintoff said at the time: ‘Working with the boys was one of the most incredible experiences of my life but the work is not finished yet! I’m really pleased we’ll be continuing the hard work we have all put in, but on a much bigger scale.’
Last year, sporting hero Freddie Flintoff embarked on a mission to find untapped cricketing talent in his hometown of Preston. Not only did he assemble a cricket team like no other, he also helped to transform the lives of his recruits and brought together a community.
The new four-part follow up series will see Flintoff take some of his team and a handful of fresh recruits on a new adventure.
Players from the first series – including Sean, Ben and Adnan – were also mooted to return.
Clare Sillery, head of commissioning, documentaries, said at the time: ‘Transformative’ is a word that’s probably overused in relation to TV shows but in his Field of Dreams series, Freddie Flintoff genuinely changed the lives of some of the boys from Preston he drafted on to the cricket team.
‘The warmth and authenticity of the series made it a big hit with viewers, and I’m delighted that he is ready to take on the challenge of a second series and can’t wait to see how it unfolds.’
Kevin Pietersen and Piers Morgan were among those to send Flintoff messages of support after he made a return to the public eye this week.
Flintoff made his return to England cricket after joining the coaching staff as a mentor this week. His return saw sparked messages of support from former team mate Kevin Pietersen
The star, who stopped to speak to people, has been making a quiet re-introduction to cricket this summer, working with the England team
Pietersen, who was part of England’s Ashes-winning side in 2005 along with Flintoff, was delighted to see his former team-mate back involved in cricket.
Pietersen posted a picture of Flintoff and wrote: ‘Freddie BACK!!!!’ along with six heart emojis.
Meanwhile, Morgan also stated that it was ‘brilliant’ to see Flintoff back.
He appeared to be in fine spirits as he shared a joke with England stars Chris Woakes and Mark Wood, and was also seen shaking hands with Jonny Bairstow.
Source: Read Full Article