My little boy died of Strep A after being sent home twice by doctors – he was left to suffocate on the floor | The Sun

A HEARTBROKEN mum has claimed her little boy was left to suffocate on the floor whilst suffering with Strep A.

Mohammad Izaan Danish became unwell on December 9 and sadly died on January 6 from the bug.


The illness has claimed the lives of 36 children across the UK since September 2022.

In the 2017 to 2018 season, the last high season of the illness, there were 355 deaths in total, including 27 deaths in children under 18.

UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) data shows there have been 211 deaths across all age groups in England this winter – including 30 children under 18.

Now, mum Sajida Jabeen has claimed that her eight-year-old son was sent home twice by medics whilst battling the condition.

The 39-year-old said doctors just gave Mohammad doses of ibuprofen and a nebulizer before realising the severity of his condition two days later.

The mum-of-three said she had waited for six hours on two separate occasions at Bradford Royal Infirmary while pleading with doctors to take his symptoms seriously.

On the second visit, she said her son was forced to sit on the hospital floor while suffering severe chest pains as there were no chairs left.

The full-time mum said the severity of her son's condition was only noted at a GP appointment, where she was urged to rush him back to hospital.

Most read in Health

TAKE THE TEST

Do you have psychopathic tendencies? Simple test reveals your score

DAME’S STRUGGLE

As Esther Rantzen reveals lung cancer diagnosis – 8 signs you need to know

A&E FIX BID

Hospitals will get 5,000 more beds & 800 ambulancesto ease pressure on A&E

I'M THE DADDY

Doctors accused me of cheating on my partner after a blunder – I was furious

Three weeks later, Mohammad died from the virus and Sajida said she is angry that doctors hadn't cared for him sooner.

"He was on the floor, suffocating with chest pain and a temperature. He couldn't even lie down. There was no place for him.

"They could have taken more care of him and taken him into a ward or something.

"There was a four to six-hour wait, and then they gave him ibuprofen, which they shouldn't have.

"He was just really friendly and happy, always smiling," she said.

The mum first took her son to hospital on December 10 after he complained of a cough and was registering a high temperature.

What are the symptoms of invasive group Strep A disease?

There are four key signs of Group Strep A to watch out for, according to the NHS. These are:

  1. A fever (meaning a high temperature above 38°C)
  2. Severe muscle aches
  3. Localised muscle tenderness
  4. Redness at the site of a wound

The invasive version of the disease happens when the bacteria break through the body's immune defences.

This can happen if you're already feeling unwell or have an immune system that’s weakened.

After waiting for assistance for six hours, the mum said she was sent home.

But she attended again the next day, after her son experienced chest pains.

She said: "I took him to the hospital, the BRI. There was a wait and they saw him and gave him ibuprofen.

"And then after another wait, they gave him a nebulizer. Then they said, 'He's ok, he can go home.' "The second day was worse, and there was another wait, and he ended up on the floor. There were no chairs or anything to sit on.

"He couldn't even lie down because his chest was hurting really badly. He just wanted to sit up.

"They gave him ibuprofen. He had a temperature. I was waiting for another four to six hours."

Sajida then took her son to the GP who was 'shocked' at Mohammad's condition.

She recalled the doctor asking: "Why didn't you take him to the hospital?' I said, 'I have been taking him but they're not really doing that much."

"I quickly took him to the hospital. He had given me a note, and I gave it to them. They started checking on him, and that was it."

He was first admitted to the BRI on December 12 before being transferred to Leeds General Infirmary.

On January 6 he passed away from pneumonia Strep A.

Group A streptococcus (GAS) are a type of bacteria found in the throat and skin.

Invasive Group Strep A occurs if these bacteria get into the bloodstream or other areas where they shouldn't be.

This can then lead to serious illnesses such as pneumonia, meningitis and sepsis.

Bacterial pneumonia happens when there is a swelling of the tissue in one or both lungs caused by infection.

When a person has pneumonia, the clusters of tiny air sacs at the end of your breathing tubes located in the lungs become filled with fluid.

Sajida said about her son: "He really liked playing football. He was a fan of Manchester United. He wanted to do lots of things. He was a happy kid.

"He was in year four, and he loved learning. He liked his teachers and his friends."

Read More on The Sun

Millions urged to check for voucher as BBC One ‘switch-off’ approaches

Love Island villa set for ‘most explosive showdown ever’ after Tom & Ellie’s kiss

Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust's Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ray Smith: "I would like to send our sincere and heartfelt condolences to Izaan's parents on the tragic death of their son.

"I will conduct a thorough investigation and the findings will be shared with Mohammed's parents once completed."



Source: Read Full Article