HUNDREDS of thousands of Brits have had their holidays blighted by flight cancellations from UK airports this summer.
But some airlines have managed better than others.
Jet2 has been named as the only UK airline not to cancel a flight in July.
Flight data published by travel intelligence company OAG shows that Jet2.com operated every flight – without making any cancellations.
The Yorkshire-based airline fared better than its UK competitors such as easyJet, which had a 1.3 per cent cancellation rate last month, while British Airways saw 3.6 per cent of flights cancelled and Virgin Atlantic had a cancellation rate of 2.3 per cent.
Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays said: “This summer is proving to be incredibly busy and because we prepared well in advance, it means we are flying millions of happy holidaymakers to and from their destinations without having to cancel their plans.
“There has been a lot of focus on the disruption affecting our industry, but this data shows that it is not all bad news.”
Most read in News Travel
Man sparks debate after yelling at mum during flight after kids kick his seat
TUI forced to cancel more flights to holiday destination until next month
Mum had passport clipped before £4K holiday despite having six years left on it
Holiday boost for Brit families as fee to enter EU is delayed
Research carried out for Dispatches by air travel data provider OAG estimates that, since January, 1.7million people flying into or out of the UK have been affected by cancellations within 48 hours of their flight.
Most UK airports have been hit by the travel chaos, with queues for security seen sneaking outside terminals and into car parks, and passengers pictured sleeping on floors overnight.
The problems have been blamed on a number of issues, the main one being staffing problems at both airlines and airports, as travel recovers to normal levels following the Covid pandemic.
In an effort to curb the number of cancellations at Heathrow, they’ve imposed a 100,000 daily cap on departing passengers.
The airport has even ordered airlines to consider booting holidaymakers off flights to bring an end to the travel mayhem plaguing Britain this summer.
While this was initially to last until September, it has now been extended to October, with fears that flight caps could be brought in again next year.
Heathrow boss John Holland-Kaye said: "It’s absolutely possible that we could have another summer with a cap still in place.
"It’s going to take 12 to 18 months, and not just at Heathrow. This is not going to be a quick fix."
As a result of the cap, British Airways has suspended the sale of the short-haul tickets from the airport until August 15.
Source: Read Full Article