Boy, 14, GUILTY of killing schoolgirl Ava White, 12, at Xmas lights switch on

A 14-YEAR-old boy has been found GUILTY of killing schoolgirl Ava White at a Christmas lights switch on.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, stabbed Ava, 12, to death in Liverpool city centre just after 8.30pm on November 25 last year.

The boy admitted stabbing her – but claimed he did so accidentally in self-defence – and denied both murder and manslaughter.

But he was today found guilty of murder at Liverpool Crown Court.

Jurors were earlier shown footage of "altercations" between Ava and the 14-year-old boy.

The violence escalated after the defendant posted on Snapchat a video of Ava sitting in Richmond Street with her friends shortly before her death, the court heard.

Read more UK news

Kurt Zouma yelled ‘I swear I’ll kill it’ while kicking pet cat in sick footage

Brit tourist, 19, ‘faces being paralysed’ after smashing head in pool dive

Ava and the defendant allegedly argued because he had filmed her without permission.

Footage showed her and her friends approaching the defendant, who was with three other boys.

Police investigator Callum Suggit said: "There are some altercations between Ava and other members of the group and the group travel down Tarleton Street."

CCTV showed Ava running after the defendant and his friends, across Church Street and into Church Alley, before turning in to School Lane.

Most read in The Sun


EastEnders viewers break down in tears at Ben Mitchell’s harrowing rape scene


Fulham confirm exit of 14 players including two of biggest ever transfers


I’m size 12 & tried the must-have Zara summer shorts – I bought EVERY colour


Ruth Langsford accuses Phillip Schofield of calling her a 'well dressed mutt’

Ava's final moments were captured on cameras at the back of the city's Primark store at 8.35pm.

The footage showed how Ava pushed the defendant and he backed away, before raising his hand in front of him holding a "reflective object".

Charlotte Newell QC, prosecuting, said: "It's apparent, in that second or two, that is when Ava has received her injury?"

Mr Suggitt said: "It is, yes."

The defendant said he had wanted to "frighten her away" because he was scared she would "jump" him.

He told the jury: "I promise, I didn't mean to hit her."

Earlier in the evening, he heard one of Ava's group threaten to stab his friend if he did not delete a video of Ava, he claimed.

After Ava was fatally hurt, the defendant ran away, discarded his knife and took off his coat, which was later found in a wheelie bin, the court heard.

CCTV showed him and his friends in a shop where the defendant took a selfie and the group bought butter, which he said was for crumpets.

He then went to a friend's home and, when his mother contacted him because police wanted to speak to him, he told her he was playing a video game.

Read More on The Sun

I’m a fashionista…I’ll show how to give your boobs support in loose tops

I’m a travel expert and there are hotel rooms you should NEVER book

After he was arrested, just after 10.30pm, he initially told police he had not been in the city centre, but in later interviews blamed another boy for the stabbing.

The knife, which had a 7.5cm long blade, was recovered by police in March after the defendant's legal team passed on information about its location.

    Source: Read Full Article