Edward and Sophie Wessex will learn from William and Kate's 'missteps'

Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex will learn from Prince William and Kate Middleton’s royal tour ‘missteps’ ahead of their own Jubilee trip to the Caribbean, royal reporter claims

  • Edward and Sophie Wessex will embark on a rare overseas tour this month
  • Visiting Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, St Lucia, and St Vincent and Grenadines
  • Comes weeks after Prince William and Kate Middleton’s controversial tour 
  • Cambridges’ trip was branded ‘tone deaf’ and plagued by several PR gaffes
  • Royal expert has said the Earl and Countess will take lessons from ‘missteps’ 

The Earl and Countess of Wessex will take lessons from Prince William and Kate Middleton’s ‘missteps’ on Caribbean trip for their own Jubilee tour, a royal reporter has claimed.

Last week, the Duke, 39, and Duchess of Cambridge, 40, faced calls to issue a public apology for slavery during the eight-day tour, with the barrage of criticism ranging from accusations Belize locals were not consulted about a royal engagement to calls for slavery reparations from the monarchy in Jamaica.

And on April 22, Prince Edward and Sophie will visit Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, St Lucia, and St Vincent and the Grenadines for a week. 

Victoria Ward has now revealed the couple will learn from any mistakes made during the Cambridges tour, writing in The Telegraph: ‘Palace officials desperate to avoid further PR pitfalls have been carefully studying the Wessexes’ itinerary ahead of their tour later this month of Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, St Lucia and St Vincent and the Grenadines.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex will take lessons from Prince William and Kate Middleton’s ‘missteps’ on Caribbean trip for their own Jubilee tour, a royal expert has claimed

‘While the Wessexes will certainly want to ensure the focus remains on the Queen’s historic seven-decade reign, any potential plans to echo their movements in Grenada by greeting the crowds in an open top car, as Her Majesty and Prince Philip did on their first visit to the country in 1966, will have been quietly shelved.’

The Cambridge’s last week landed back in Britain from their troubled tour of the Caribbean, which was blighted by protests against Britain’s colonial past. 

The Duke of Cambridge denounced slavery as ‘abhorrent’ and said ‘it should never have happened’. He is attending the service for the life of Prince Philip as he looks to now move the monarchy into the future amid the criticism.     

William is said to want to do things ‘the Cambridge way’ following his Caribbean tour with Kate that saw the couple heavily criticised for images that smacked of ‘colonialism’ but also welcomed with warmth by Caribbeans.

Last week, the Duke, 39, and Duchess of Cambridge, 40, faced calls to issue a public apology for slavery during the eight-day tour

The couple faced criticism ranging from accusations Belize locals were not consulted about a royal engagement to calls for slavery reparations from the monarchy in Jamaica (pictured, the Duchess) 

The visit is likely to be judged as a landmark moment for years to come – when the growing awareness of racial equality, in light of the Black Lives Matter movement, meant future Commonwealth tours would have to be sensitive to these issues.

The Duke addressed the issue of slavery during a speech in Jamaica, denouncing it as ‘abhorrent’ and saying ‘it should never have happened’.

Ending their trip to Belize, Jamaica and the Bahamas at the weekend, the future king acknowledged the monarchy’s days in those nations may be numbered as he stated the future ‘is for the people to decide upon’, and that he may not become head of the Commonwealth.

In a statement reflecting on the tour, William said who the Commonwealth chooses to be its leader ‘isn’t what is on my mind’, but what concerned him was its potential to ‘create a better future for the people who form it’.

Earlier this year, a royal expert claimed Sophie ‘undoubtedly benefits’ from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepping back from royal life because it has ‘raised her profile’

He stressed that he and his wife Kate were ‘committed to service’ and saw their role as supporting people, ‘not telling them what to do’. 

Victoria’s comments come after a royal expert claimed Sophie ‘undoubtedly benefits’ from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepping back from royal life because it has ‘raised her profile’.

The Countess, who is often been noted as the monarch’s ‘favourite’ family member,  has embarked on a rare high profile solo trip of New York in recent weeks, cementing her position as the Queen’s secret weapon within the new look monarchy. 

Royal expert Russel Myers explained how the mother-of-two has seen her star rise after the Duke, 38, and Duchess of Sussex, 40, stepped down as senior royals and moved to California last year. 

The Countess has embarked on a high profile solo trip of New Yok in recent weeks in another glimpse into the new look monarchy

Speaking on  True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat, he explained: ‘Are the Instagram generation going to be as obsessed with Sophie and Edward Wessex as they are with the Sussexes? Obviously not.

‘However, when you’re dealing with them… Sophie’s really across her subject matter. 

‘It’s not just for show and she has really grown into that. With the Sussexes not here, the Wessexes will undoubtedly benefit.’

Meanwhile he also pointed to how similar the Meghan and Sophie’s interests are, saying: ‘The similarities between Sophie and Meghan are there to be seen. 

‘Sophie’s working with girls’ education, she’s done a lot of stuff about violence against females in Africa.’  

Source: Read Full Article