'Chinese Zodiac Killer' letters being investigated by FBI after creepy notes sent to TV stations in echo of murderer

THE FBI has launched an investigation after several New York TV stations recently received a strange letter from someone claiming to be the "Chinese Zodiac Killer."

The bureau ordered the local media outlets on Wednesday night not to open them and to be on the lookout for more letters in the coming days.


Investigators are asking any recipients not to open them in order to preserve any possible DNA evidence.

All of the stations that received the strange notes are based in Albany.

In a statement, the FBI said there is no threat to the community at this time but refused to comment further citing an active investigation.

It's unclear what the notes said at this time.

This isn't the first time a note claiming to be from the Zodiac has surfaced.

In 1973, four years after the killer's last known murder, the Albany Times Union received a note shortly after the paper ran a story on one of the Zodiac's letters.

"YOU Were WRONG I AM NOT DEAD OR IN THE HOSPITAL I AM ALIVE AND WELL AND IM GOING TO START KILLING AGAIN Below is the NAME AND LOCATION OF MY NEXT VICTIM," the note read in part, "But you had Better hurry because I'm going to kill her August 10th at 5 P.M. when the shifts change. ALBANY is A nice Town."

KILLER NEVER CAUGHT

The Zodiac Killer terrorized the San Francisco area during the 1960s and claimed the lives of at least five people – though investigators suspect the mass murder's body count may be significantly higher.

The anonymous killer sent more than 20 taunting letters to police and the media during the height of their reign of terror, some of which included cipher's which have still not been cracked to this day.

They would even threaten further violence if their letters were not printed.

While the killer has never officially been unmasked, a group of specialists called The Case Breakers claimed earlier this year that they had solved the mystery, identifying the Zodiac as Gary Poste, who died in 2018.

They also claimed to have linked Poste to a sixth killing hundreds of miles away from San Francisco that has never before been connected to the Zodiac.

Police weren't convinced. However, on Saturday, the group – which is comprised of retired FBI agents and others – said there had been a new breakthrough in their case.

“When The Case Breakers approached officials about a new Zodiac suspect last spring, five police and state agencies would not cooperate,” the experts.

“But last week, the man who runs the 10-year cold case team, Thomas J. Colbert, received a tip from his long-time sources in the remote town of deceased Gary Francis Poste: They had verified the existence of an evidentiary goldmine.”

POLICE DOUBT ID CLAIM

The group claim Poste gave “away his weapons, pistol parts, gunpowder, bullets and shell casings – more than a thousand, involving 25 different calibers – to his favorite locals” before he died.

The aforementioned objects were just hanging out in “basements and closets, untouched”, the group said.

The Case Breakers said they have now boxed up their "historic haul" and sent it off to be processed in labs in three different states.

As of last month, the FBI confirmed to The Sun that the Zodiac Killer case remains unsolved.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the bureau directly.



We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at exclusive@the-sun.com or call 212 416 4552.

ike us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article