X FACTOR stars Jedward and Katie Waissel have revealed their delight at the long-running talent show being axed.
Simon Cowell pulled the plug on his programme after years of dwindling figures and lack of notable winners.
But it has also been plagued by controversy in recent months after a number of former stars accused it of exploiting and mistreating contestants.
Irish duo John and Edward Grimes made their feelings known after we exclusively revealed the show had been cancelled.
They wrote on Twitter: "Xfactor has been axed Mission Complete."
While Katie shared the hashtags "Journey for justice", "break the cycle" and "gratitude".
Earlier this year Jedward launched a blistering rant against Simon and the X Factor on their social media account.
They said: "We’re sending courage and strength to all artists being f***ed over! It ends now.
“Eating disorders and depression are very common in the music industry and it’s because nobody cares about the artist’s mental health, only the money!”
X Factor has been axed Mission Complete.
While Katie claimed she was sexually assaulted by a former X Factor employee at a hotel in America.
The alleged incident took place years after she appeared on the show in 2010 and left her "paralysed with shock".
There was an investigation carried out by Cowell’s company Syco but the man, who is no longer employed by the company, denied any wrongdoing.
Katie decided not to make a formal complaint as she was pregnant and did not want any added stress.
The ordeal left her regretting ever taking part on the show.
Former winner Matt Cardle said he was surprised there hadn't been more tragedies given the lack of aftercare.
While Cher Lloyd has also been vocal about the "controlling" nature of the competition.
It last aired in 2018 and is now being shelved by Simon for at least five years.
But sources close to the 61-year-old music mogul believe The X Factor is “unlikely” to return to UK screens.
Simon will now focus on a new big-money gameshow called Walk The Line.
A show insider said of X Factor: “Globally, it is still a phenomenon and rakes in millions every year. But in the UK, there is no question it has become slightly stale.
“Simon remains at the top of his game and knows how to make a hit. He owns the rights to the show, and it’s his call — not ITV’s — whether or not he drops it.
“Clearly the last thing he wants is for X Factor to fizzle out with a whimper and become a bit of a joke — especially in contrast to the show in its pomp.
“It is still on the back-burner and there’s the option to return it in 2023, with auditions next summer, but a lot will ride on his new format Walk The Line.”
Simon’s new gameshow is a six-part series expected to fill a prime-time Saturday night slot.
Described as a “high octane, nail-biting” format, it will see contestants perform in front of Cowell and a celebrity judging panel.
The top two performers of the night can either cash out with a “life-changing” sum of money — or stay in the competition, and risk losing the money should they be eliminated at the next stage. The insider said of the show: “There are high hopes for it — and it will air this winter.”
An ITV source added: “There is a lot of money at stake and the concept is fantastic — it’s a bit like a musical version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
“But it’s a gameshow not a talent show, and it’s important to stress it’s not being eyed as a direct replacement for The X Factor.”
The source added: “The X Factor is one of a kind and, even in its final year, was getting pretty great numbers compared to other shows.
“But everyone is hopeful the public get on board with Walk The Line and it becomes an ITV staple. Obviously the door is not shut entirely on The X Factor, but everyone is very much concentrating on finalising new and exciting formats, rather than looking back at the past.
“The feeling is that whilst it will continue to air internationally it won’t be returning over here.”
At its peak The X Factor was regularly drawing in 12million viewers on Saturday nights.
The music contest was first broadcast in 2004 and won by Steve Brookstein, now 52.
It made household names of JLS, Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, James Arthur, Olly Murs and Stacey Solomon among many others.
It delighted us with quirky acts that gained cult status, such as identical quiff-haired twins Jedward — and Chico with his “It’s Chico Time” catchphrase.
And the ear-piercingly bad auditions of some tone-deaf wannabes had us roaring with laughter.
News of Simon’s decision comes in the wake of dwindling viewing figures.
Dalton Harris, 24, was crowned the winner of the last show in December 2018.
An average of 5.3million watched him win — a far cry from the 17.2million viewers who saw Matt Cardle triumph in 2010.
That year the competition also spawned boyband giants One Direction, and in 2011 came Little Mix — the most successful British girl group since the Spice Girls.
But in the latter years it struggled to create big name superstars.
Streaming services such as Spotify made it harder for winners to secure No1 hits — or have a meaningful impact in the charts.
The show is licensed to 57 countries and Italy’s 2017 runners-up, rock band Maneskin, won Eurovision earlier this year — and currently top the Spotify global charts.
Source: Read Full Article