Mum, 21, and daughters, 1 and 3, ‘covered in asbestos’ after their ceiling collapsed onto them while they were asleep – The Sun

A MUM was fast asleep with her two small children when her roof suddenly caved in leaving them 'covered in asbestos.'

Sophie Mcgarry, 21, was in bed with her daughter Olivia, three, and her one-year-old Harper-Rose was fast asleep in a cot next to them when they were awoken by a loud bang.


The young mother says she has now been left with practically nothing after the rubble and 'asbestos' destroyed her bed, towels, belongings, and all of the children's clothing and toys.

Sophie, from Armadale in Scotland, said she had reported a small crack in her ceiling to the council but they didn't seem concerned about it.

Sophie and her children, who stay at the West Lothian Council house, are now all trapped in the living room together as they have been warned not to go into the house over concerns for their health.

Sophie told that on the 6 August at about 8.30am she woke to see her roof caving in, with slabs from the ceiling narrowly missing her small children.

She immediately evacuated the children out of the room and called West Lothian Council to inspect the property.

The 21-year-old said she was left outside in the garden for 'hours' with her two children while an inspector determined that it was likely that 'asbestos' had come out of the roof when it collapsed.

Sophie said: "Me and my little girls were sleeping in our bedroom and a big bit of ceiling just collapsed on top of us at around 8.15 am.

"I just had to get up and grab the wee girls and run out of the room – I hate to think what could have happened to them.

"West Lothian Council has tried to place me in a hotel with my two wee girls without any bed and breakfast in a tiny hotel room.

"I'm trying to get them to try and rehouse me because I don't know how I can feed my two kids in a hotel room with no kitchen appliances.

"I told them I would need to stay to be able to use my kitchen to feed my kids and one of the council inspectors said he would refuse to leave until I sent them an email basically saying I've chosen to stay and if anything else happens it's not their fault."

Now she says she is sleeping in the living room of her house, washing the same outfits she has left for her kids, over and over after their clothes were destroyed.

Sophie added: "I'm on edge, every time I hear a noise I'm worried something is going to happen.

"I just want to be re-homed with my wee girls but they told me they don't have any emergency accommodation.

"I want to share my story to warn others if they spot a crack on their ceiling because I warned them about it but nothing was done."

Sophie's friend Pauline has made a GoFundMe page to help Sophie and her girls buy clothes and essentials.

West Lothian Council have been contacted for comment.


Source: Read Full Article