Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: Premier League return LATEST, Mike Tyson makes shock wrestling appearance, big Leeds boost – The Sun

THE Premier League is a step closer after the return of players to training, and there's been a boost after only two more positive tests.

Out of 996 tests conducted last week, two people came back positive, from two different clubs.

Meanwhile La Liga is setting a much brisker pace as it has pencilled in June 12 for the first fixture back – Sevilla vs Betis.

Follow all the latest coronavirus in sport updates below…

 

  • LEED ON – EXCLUSIVE

    The EFL have given the Championship clubs the green light to start training – and the majority want to finish the season.

    Leeds United and West Brom are clear to push ahead for the Premier League and have been cleared to begin their preparations.

    That message was flashed out by EFL HQ who reveal “most clubs have indicated they wish to complete the season in full”.

    However, League One is still split and the “straw poll” has yet to confirm whether they play on or stop.

    The EFL is “reluctant to put any plans in place until after the outcome of the vote”.

  • RE-BOLT-ING

    Sprint king Usain Bolt begged a British model for sexy pics two days before his long-term lover gave birth to their first child.

    Olympic gold medallist Bolt, 33, asked Shari Halliday, 22, for the snaps — and was sent two of her wearing lingerie.

    He replied saying: “You hot as, I swear. Love it.”

    Glamour girl Shari claims she had no idea Bolt was in a relationship until last Sunday’s birth of his daughter was announced — by the Prime Minister of Jamaica.

    Shari said: “I feel like he should concentrate on his own family and don’t understand what he gets from texting other girls.

    “I was shocked when I found out he had become a dad as I did not know about his partner. I should do my research on people a bit more.”

  • IT'S FIGHTING TYM

    Mike Tyson made a surprise appearance at AEW Wrestling overnight and looked in excellent shape ahead of a potential return to boxing!

    Iron Mike ripped off his shirt to stop WWE legend Jake 'The Snake' Roberts interfering with the match.

  • GOOD MORNING SPORTS FANS

    Project Restart was boosted last night with news of just two more positive tests in the Premier League.

    Out of 996 tests conducted last week, two people came back positive, from two different clubs.

    In the first round of testing, six players and staff from three different clubs were found to have Covid-19, from 748 samples.

    A statement read: “The Premier League can today confirm that on Tuesday 19 May, Thursday 21 May and Friday 22 May, 996 players and club staff were tested for Covid-19.

    “Of these, two have tested positive from two clubs.”

    Meanwhile, Former FA and Arsenal chief David Dein says next season should run from February until November.

    He says rewriting the football calendar would give leagues the time they need to finish the postponed campaigns safely.

    He said: “I’d like to see next season recalibrated. One reason is we don’t know what’s going to happen.

    “Will this season actually be able to finish in June and July? I wouldn’t put pressure on ourselves. If we have to, let’s finish this season in October or November.”

    In other news, the NBA have a Mickey Mouse idea to resume the basketball season – a trip to Disneyland.

    Top-class US sports have been on pause since March following the Covid-19 crisis, but NBA top brass are in talks to resume the season at Florida’s Disney World Resort in late July.

  • NOT CLEVER

    Tom Cleverley warns Project Restart is in “jeopardy” if a host of players test positive for Covid-19 in the next phase.

    The former England midfielder Cleverley declared: “Phase one is as safe as going to the supermarket.

    “But in phase two, you could be rubbing shoulders with 15, 20 guys on the same day.

    “So if we get into phase two and there’s a sudden spike in positive cases, that puts the whole thing in jeopardy.

    “Let’s wait for the information and the schedule on phase two and see if the players are happy with it.”

  • FEELING THE BURN

    Jack Cork has insisted most players back the return of the Premier League despite initial concerns over Project Restart.

    He said: “Of course we all spoke about it on the Zoom calls and we all wanted to get back.

    “The way they’ve gone about it has been great and our testing didn’t affect the NHS ones because it was all done separately.

    “People had concerns but we all came to the decision that we were happy with how it was all being done.

    “There are key workers and NHS staff putting themselves at a lot more risk, putting themselves in danger, but we’re in one of the safest environments, so were all happy to do so.”

  • COIN TOSS

    Premier League clubs are being asked to pump a staggering £200million into the EFL to save  their skins.

    The size of the bailout has stunned top-flight chiefs who could have to find £10m each.

    The idea — backed by Government ministers — would mean a one-off payment for the 71 distressed poor relations.

    This is in addition to the previous solidarity payments made by Premier League clubs and after an agreement last month that the big boys would advance those payments of £125m to help smaller clubs.

  • EXCLUSIVE

    Former FA and Arsenal chief David Dein says next season should run from February until November.

    He says rewriting the football calendar would give leagues the time they need to finish the postponed campaigns safely.

    And Dein believes a season starting in 2021 could have fans in stadiums.

    In a virtual talk to pupils for the Speakers For Schools charity, ex-FA and Gunners vice-chairman Dein said: “I’d like to see next season recalibrated. One reason is we don’t know what’s going to happen.

    “Will this season actually be able to finish in June and July? I wouldn’t put pressure on ourselves. If we have to, let’s finish this season in October or November.

    “We’d give ourselves ample time for the players to have a break. I’d like to see next season run from February to November. With luck, we could be in a position to have fans back.”

  • TAKING THE MICKEY

    The NBA have a Mickey Mouse idea to resume the basketball season – a trip to Disneyland.

    Top-class US sports have been on pause since March following the COVID-19 crisis.

    However, NBA top brass are in talks to resume the season at Florida’s Disney World Resort in late July.

    The Disney ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida could be used as a “single site for games, practices and housing” to cut down on team travel across the States.

    NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said: “Our priority continues to be the health and safety of all involved.

    “And we are working with public health experts and government officials on a comprehensive set of guidelines to ensure that appropriate medical protocols and protections are in place.”

  • PREM LATEST

    The Premier Leaue have announced the results of the second round of Covid-19 testing.

    A statement read: “The Premier League can today confirm that on Tuesday 19 May, Thursday 21 May and Friday 22 May, 996 players and club staff were tested for Covid-19.

    “Of these, two have tested positive from two clubs.

    “Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.”

  • 'ABSOLUTELY'

    Basketball star Steph Curry has insisted he is “absolutely” ready to return to action.

    The Golden State Warriors guard said: “Absolutely. I think yes.

    “I think we've had so many conversations and they're going to continue, to unfold as more information comes out, as everybody understands how to do it safely, as best you can.”

    When asked about potentially playing against an opponent that had tested positive for Covid-19, he said: “Boy, that would be tough.”

  • RIDING SHOTGUNNER

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will race in Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix for McLaren – but only on a computer game.

    F1's season has not even started due to the coronavirus pandemic but they are running virtual GPs.

    This week they should be racing around Monte Carlo but have to settle for an online version where the Arsenal striker will partner British racer, Lando Norris.

    He said: “I've been practicing but it's really hard! I've tried to train every day – hopefully Lando will help me because some of the turns are really, really hard.

    “I said to my team before that I love challenges, and this one is a big one for me, so I'm happy to do it with Lando.”

  • RYS AND LOWS

    Ryan Giggs fears he will not see his Wales stars for 18 MONTHS due to coronavirus.

    He told  MUTV Group Chat: “Potentially we won’t have been together for over a year, it could be 18 months if it goes to March which isn’t ideal.

    “We are supposed to play games in September, October and November which is obviously up in the air at the moment.

    “We still don’t know.”

  • HORSING AROUND

    Jockeys will be required to wear masks when racing returns on June 1.

    The British Horseracing Authority have released a 33-page document outlining the measures that will be in place.

    Trainers have also been urged against entering any “difficult” or “fractious” horses as only two stall handlers wil be allowed.

    The BHA will also appoint social distancing officers.

  • KEPT AT BAY

    Bayern Munich are in cruise control.

    Hans-Dieter Flick's side look set to extend their lead at the top of the table.

  • EASTERN TIME

    The trilogy fight between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury could take place in the Far East before the end of the year, according to reports.

    Both fights between the pair have so far been held in the United States, but a new option has been presented.

    According to talkSPORT's Michael Benson, a lucrative offer is on the table from the Far East to host the WBC heavyweight title bout.

    He tweeted: “Told by Frank Warren that Bob Arum has informed him they've now received an offer from a territory in the Far East to host Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder III at the back end of this year.”

  • SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

    Fear not sport-deprived footy fans, SunSport have got you covered.

    Click here to tune into our dedicated live blog of Bayern Munich vs Frankfurt.

    Kick-off was at 5:30pm, so get a move on!

  • COR BLIMEY

    Spartak Moscow have confirmed two of their players have tested positive for coronavirus.

    A statement from the club on Twitter read: “On Thursday, football players, coaching staff and staff members were tested for Covid-19.

    “Results showed abnormalities in two players.”

  • LOCKED AND LOADED

    Tyson Fury has told Dillian Whyte to keep his trap shut – and reckons he is only being mouthy because he is “protected” by the coronavirus lockdown.

    Whyte continued his war of words with the Gypsy King this week by claiming he knocked him down in sparring.

    In response, the Gypsy King said on Twitter: “Funny how everyone wants to fight during Covid-19, when there are no sports events happening.

    “Also I have a contract with the @bronzebomber first and when I win that I'll have the fight with Joshua as undisputed comes before mandatory. Happy hunting.”

  • BORUSSIA MONCHEN-CUT-OUTS

    As reported by SunSport this morning, Borussia Monchengladbach's home clash with Bayer Leverkusen is being played in front of 13,000 cut out fans.

  • LA LA LAND

    Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez has confirmed that LaLiga will return on June 8.

    The league’s president Javier Tebas has been desperate to follow the Bundesliga’s lead and resume the 2019-20 season.

    And with LaLiga clubs having stepped up their training this week – now allowed to do so in groups of up to ten – Sanchez has officially given the green light to a June 8 return in a press conference.

    All 20 teams have 11 games remaining, with Barcelona leading Real Madrid by two points at the top of the table.

  • BUNDESLIGA BOUNCEBACK

    It's just 30 minutes until the first of today's FIVE German football games kick-off and Borussia Dortmund's top flight clash with Wolfsburg might just be the pick of the bunch.

  • BLUEPSY DAISY

    Chelsea stars Kepa and Marcos Alonso are due to be warned over social distancing for standing too close to fans while posing for photos.

  • POG-BACK, AGAIN

    Paul Pogba's agent Mino Raiola has opened talks with Juventus ahead of a potential summer move, according to reports in France.

    The France star, 27, has been pushing for a “new challenge” since last summer – with Real Madrid and Juventus both keen.

    But Raiola appears to prefer a move back to his former club for Pogba, with Le10Sport claiming he has kicked off talks with the Serie A giants.

Source: Read Full Article